Today I share something that I have struggled with on the road and that is limiting my alcohol intake. Alcohol can wreak havoc on your weight loss goals. In this episode, I share some information about why alcohol is bad for your plan, how to avoid it, and if you do want to drink, I cover the best options on what to order. This and more in today’s show!
Hello and welcome to Fit For The Road, a podcast dedicated to making healthier choices when you are away from home!
I am your host TJ Houston! Today I share some tips on drinking alcohol when you are in weight loss mode.
Before we get into that, I want to share my weight loss update for 2019. This year, on January 1st, my starting weight was 192, and my body fat was at 25.1%. As of this week, my weight is up to 164.0 and my body fat is around 22. Down to the final 10 pounds!
- Ran over 13 miles for my long run
- Only had beer twice
- Hit 1000 listens on the podcast! Thank You!
This week’s schedule was tough, made for a rough week to continue to build my habits but this upcoming week, I am back in the saddle!
In today’s episode, I cover these 3 topics
- What are the effects of alcohol on weight loss
- What are the alternatives?
- What are some low point drinks that I can have on weight watchers?
How to manage alcohol consumption on Weight Watchers.
How does alcohol affect weight loss?
- When you drink your body focuses on breaking down alcohol and not the other calories you consume
- Increase in Appetite
- Lower’s your testosterone level (lean muscle mass)
- Lack of discipline (bad decisions)
- When you are in weight loss mode, it doesn’t take much to “hit you”
- Hangovers aren’t good for exercise
Bottom Line, Alcohol has empty calories, it changes the way your body (metabolism) functions, and it lowers your inhibitions, so you’re more likely to eat unhealthy foods.
Great article on 8 ways alcohol affects weight loss
What are the alternatives or how can I mitigate the effects of alcohol?
- Order a “Soda with a Lime”
- Set a goal weight to earn a drink
- Order water before your meal and order a drink with your dinner
- Drink 1:1 with water
What are the best options if I am going to drink?
- Note, the points will not be 1:1, they go up exponentially as you have more.
- Wine – 5 Points
- Liquor (without the mixers) – Brandy, Gin, Rum, Scotch, Tequilla, Vodka, Whisky 3 points
- Easy on the mixers and diet soda
- Light Beer like Mich Ultra
Weight Watchers Happy Hour Survival Guide –
- As always be prepared before you put yourself into a situation where you will make a bad call
- Try to limit your intake of alcohol
- If you do decide to drink, choose your best option based on your taste!
This has been Episode 16 of Fit For The Road, recorded on April 28th, 2019 and published April 29th, 2019, for show notes visit fitfortheroad.co. Also, special thanks to Ryan of Painless Audio for the production of today’s episode.
Hopefully, this episode helped you get some tips about getting in the right mindset and finding discipline in your life. Also, if you are looking to sign up for Weight Watchers, click this link for a free month!